Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Pullin' Trees



We had to remove an apple tree from our front yard. Last year there was significant wind damage that twisted, broke and cracked several of the main branches. While it is possible to bolt limbs together, this tree was old and had other issues so we decided to take it out.

Last fall we cut the tree down and left a 6 foot stump (2 foot diameter) over the winter (I got lazy). So, the first project for the spring was to remove the stump. We had a couple of bids that were over $250.00 which included grinding the stump a couple of inches below ground level. I decided that I could pull the stump myself for much less (free).

I spent a total of 8 hours over two Saturdays pulling it out. (20 minutes work, 40 minute break, etc.) I had to dig down about two feet and cut thee major roots, 4-5 medium sized and many smaller roots. Pulling the stump with the truck became very easy after all the preliminary work. Sore muscles yes, but a lot of satisfaction. Doing the math (8 hours at $250.00) I made/saved about $31.25 per hour. I guess that made it worth it.

2 comments:

Niki said...

I do not envy you that task. Suddenly putting sprinklers in my back planter doesn't seem like such a huge job! Excellent pictures though, I'm glad you put them in.

Lisa said...

Very impressive...you are your father's son.