Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Appendix - a very little thing (update)

I lost my appendix this week. A story I can't wait to tell. More to come...
March 07-
Here is a little more detail. About two weeks ago my digestive system started to act "not right". I am not sure if my appendix was acting up at that time or if other things were at work. By Wednesday, however, I had a lot of pain across my whole abdomen (not just the lower right as I would have expected). I found later that the appendix problem may have stopped the intestinal peristalsis, causing the full abdominal sensitivity.
Throughout the day Thursday the overall pain reduced and shifted toward the lower right. In my Doctor's office, he determined that it was the appendix and sent me to the emergency room. After several hours of evaluation, testing and preparation I was in the operating room having the little stinker removed. It was about 3x size with gangrenous "oozing" and swelling of the connective tissues. With a little difficulty, things were completed and the 2 1/2 inch incision was closed.
Due to some complications with the swelling, the internal repair began to bleed and I was loosing quite a bit of blood. By Saturday Morning, they went back in through a much larger incision to repair the bleeding and clean everything out. By then the bleeding had stopped due to a large clot, but there was some cleanup required.
A week in the hospital and a couple of days recovering at home and I feel much better. I still have a long way to go because pain, fatigue and other issues make life frustrating. I am, however, VERY greatful for all those who have been involved. Medical workers and my wife and family and many dear friends have borne me through this ordeal.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Glad to see you are doing better. Sorry I haven't visited you...but you really DO NOT want to end up with my cough...especially right now!! Welcome to the "Club"! Love you.

Niki said...

Man...that seems to be the thing to do these days. Maybe I should look into it!

Really, I'm glad your doing okay.

Kelli said...

Wow, Norman. What an ordeal! I'm sorry things too an odd twist but very glad to hear you are doing well....and that clowns weren't involved. ;)

Robinson's said...

Norm I am so sorry, that is so scary! Your sweet Tersea telling us the story at the shower in tears put it all into perspective. I am glad to hear that you are doing better, and hope the recovery goes fast!