Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Back of the head - Electrifying

I grew up on a small farm with cows, pigs, chickens, cats and dogs but no horses. I would often visit some of my friends and ride their horses and help with some of their chores (kind of funny because I don't think I ever made them help with mine).

One of the families had an electric fence around their horses. We would be very careful to remain clear of the wire so as not to experience the pain it would provide. Once in a while we would get brave (another word for stupid) and touch the wire with different items to see if we could feel the electricity. Weeds, sticks and other things usually provided good protection. We were smart enough (do you buy that?) to know that things made of metal provided no protection. On one occasion, a friend of mine learned that urine could conduct electricity if the stream was just right. Oh, boy that was funny to see his dance of pain...I probably cried more laughing than he did during his 10 minute recovery. I never had to try that one, his experience was all I needed.

I did, however, learn just how much of an impact an electric fence could have. We were horsing around (like the pun?) in the corral one afternoon. I think were started playing catch with a baseball and it turned into throwing horse poop at each other (did I ever mention we were really smart?). One of the kids picked up an obviously fresh weapon and prepared to throw it at me. Wanting to be able to avoid the throw, I quickly scooted backwards with my eyes fixed my friend.

Interesting that the electric wire was at the exact level of my neck. I remember getting hit in the back of the head with a baseball bat. I vaguely remember dropping to my hands and knees while the world, horses and all, floated up and down in the air above me. The disorientation gradually dissipated and was replaced with a light dull ache in my neck which gradually increased. It was then that I turned my head over my back to see who hit me. All I could see was the electrical wire, towering over me. I expect that it may have joined in with the laughter of my friends. My "buddies" helped me to my feet, with poop stained hands and grins that stretched from ear to ear.

2 comments:

Kelli said...

At that point, your parents should have packed you up and moved you to the city. haha I engaged in horse poop wars myself, if you can believe that...wait, maybe it was cow poop. What is UP with that? Life on the farm brings out creativity, I suppose. ;)

Niki said...

Did you see them test the 'myth' of getting electrocuted via urine on an electric fence on Mythbusters?