I spent a lot of my teenage years riding motorcycles in the dirt. I really enjoyed the exhilaration and power I felt as I rode in many different environments (I'll share some of those stories sometime soon). I have a few small scars but did not receive any major injuries.
I usually rode with boots, Levis, gloves and a helmet. Once in a while, when I was just puttering around, I would ride without a helmet. I received many comments from both sides of the helmet controversies that existed back them. In my state, helmets were not required on the road unless you were under 18. In the dirt it was not clearly stated, but today it is clearly a requirement for young riders to wear a helmet.
One day at the gas station where I worked, a discussion came up as to exactly how effective motorcycle helmets were at protecting the rider. I decided to demonstrate to my critics how much a helmet can protect you even in a light accident. Hmmm, how can I do that without putting my body at risk? [OK, everybody all at once say aloud "Oh, Oh Norm".] I carefully strapped on my hand-me-down, 10 year old chipped helmet and walked confidently into the open doorway and turned to face the brick doorway.
Looking at the brick 12 inches from my forehead, I placed a hand on each side of the opening. One more slow breath (just for show for my friends) and my helmet covered head moved quickly backward and then reversed direction and launched forward toward the brick with all the energy my neck muscles could generate. Perhaps in the future, it would be wise to start with little bumps and gradually increase the impact speed. Perhaps it would gradually beat some sense into me before I reached damaging speeds. But alas!
The stars were out and very bright that mid-afternoon, and they spun around in great big circles. I was just glad that I had my hands on either side of the door casing, because I was able to hold my self up (though semi-conscious) long enough for my buddies to grab me and help me to the ground. A small chip in the paint, and no blood. See, I was right, the helmet protected me. The headache gradually faded and the floor finally returned to its rightful place under my feet. I did learn, that I never want to run into anything while riding my motorcycle, with or without a helmet.
Download Store Sm Lgne By Liane Moriarty Pdf Ebook
-
Download Store Sm Lgne By Liane Moriarty Pdf Ebook
Genre : Fiction & Literature ,Books
Er det mord? En tragisk hændelse? Eller bare forældre, der ikke kan o...
5 years ago
2 comments:
Wow...
All these years I though you were one of the smarter Anderson children. I'm starting to reevaluate.
Too funny! Thanks for the laugh. :-)
Is that green jello with carrots in it?
;o)~
Rose
Post a Comment