When I was younger I always thought I was a big help. We use to own a 1960 Buick station waggon (ours was white). I remember that it had a fold down seat in the very back facing backward. One particular day, we were planning on going somewhere (vacation, special activity or other) and my father was busy packing and prepping the car. I overheard him say that we could not go until we filled up the tank because we were "out of gas". So, being the helpful one, I pulled back on the rear licence plate, removed the gas cap (I watched dad and others at the gas station) and put the running garden hose into the nozzle of the tank. Since it took more than 5 seconds to fill, I got bored and walked away. A short time later I heard a loud shout (and use of my alternate names, of which there are many) and ran back to the car in time to see water flowing from the back of the car as my dad pulled out the hose. That day I learned the difference between gas and water and how long it takes to drain a gas tank. At least I didn't fill the cows water trough with gasoline.

2 comments:
That is too funny! I hadn't heard that one before. What a helpful boy you were. :-)
I remember this car. I don't remember your story of what happended (I believe it happend, I was just too little for that one) We used to play in it. I remember the day Mom had it hauled off and that Dad wasn't too happy to see it gone when he got home. I missed that "playground" for quite a while. Thanks Norm. I love reading your memories and opinions. Your awesome!
Post a Comment